Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Another Good Book



I don't seem to read as fast as a lot of bloggers but then I don't seem to blog as often either so maybe it evens out. About two months ago I read Shine Coconut Moon by Neesha Meminger. I had the pleasure of having breakfast with Neesha in New York in January and then I had to wait until the book came out to read it. I wasn't disappointed I love this book. It truly made me feel like I was living inside someone else's skin for the day or two it took to read it . Here's my synopsis: Samar is an Indian American (as in South Asian Indian) living with her mother in New Jersey - just like any other American teen aged girl. Except she doesn't know her mother's family or much about her heritage at all - until on 9/11, after the twin towers fall, her Uncle Sanjeep who she barely remembers shows up at their door. He wants the two of them to reconnect with their family. As the world changes around her and prejudice against turbaned people like Uncle Sanjeep bubbles up, the flap copy says, "Sam will need all her smarts and savvy to try to bridge the two worlds and make them both her own." I say, pick up Shine Coconut Moon. It's a special book.

No comments: